Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Tonight in Princeton: Chris Harford & The Band of Changes w/special guest Eric Slick

I know I said 2010 would be an interesting year but it's already ridiculously cool and I'm pretty excited but I've been told I'm not allowed to say anything about anything yet other than report the news which is reportable. Bah! Thwarted again, but I suggest you tune in a few times daily because once the ban is lifted, all bets are off!

Anyway, what I can tell you is this: If you are anywhere at all near Princeton, New Jersey tonight at 9:00 p.m., you have to make this gig at the BT Bistro -- Chris Harford and The Band of Changes -- which is a loose jam every Tuesday night featuring Chris and bassist Dave Dreiwitz and this week Eric Slick will be the special guest on drums.

To further whet your appetite for this show, and I use that term in more ways than one because the menu at this venue looks fucking incredible, here are two outstanding You Tubes from a lunchtime concert at WXPN Radio...well, the show itself was brought to you by XPN/NPR (and that's a link to the entire one hour podcast) but was actually downstairs at World Cafe Live in Philadelphia on 12.8.2006 and features Chris Harford, Gene Ween, Dean Ween, Dave Dreiwitz, Scott Metzger, and Eric Slick. Wow. I just realized this show was three years ago already, before Eric had all that time with Adrian under his belt. So you can imagine how he'll kill it tonight. But these You Tubes slay me...Chris is an unbelievable songwriter and to me, these are two of his best. "Teach Me" was either in a movie or television soundtrack...I'm pretty sure Google will tell you if you are so inclined to find out.





Speaking of Eric, another vintage You Tube surfaced yesterday - this one a really short, fun drum solo he did while on tour with Project Object in November of 2007 and yes, that's Zappa alumni great Napoleon Murphy Brock on stage. I adore this - Eric is so loose and obviously having a blast. I hope everyone is going out to see Project Object on their current tour with drummer Jim Ruffi ably filling Eric's shoes...there's been some really great press about this current run which you can read about on P/O's website.



And of course it's a pretty exciting day for me, too, because, as I've been posting billboards all over the internet, the new Smith Magazine six word memoir book published by HarperCollins, which features six words of not exactly wisdom by yours truly, is now available at a bookstore near you or via Amazon and naturally I'll give you the link and post the cover one more time because it's just so damn pretty. But first, here's the international debut of the book's trailer!



How cool is that?! Does anyone know who is responsible for the soundtrack? I love it!



"It All Changed in an Instant
More Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure
By Larry Smith, Rachel Fershleiser

Price: $12.00
On Sale: 1/5/2010 PRE-ORDER HERE!

“A perfect distraction and inspiration, and a collection that begs to be shared. Be warned, though. If you plan to lend out your copy, start out with two. Once it leaves your hands you’ll never see it again.”

—Denver Post (on Not Quite What I Was Planning)

The editors of the New York Times bestseller Not Quite What I Was Planning are back with its much-anticipated sequel, It All Changed in an Instant. With contributions from acclaimed authors like Malcolm Gladwell, Frank McCourt, Wally Lamb, Isabel Allende, Junot Diaz, Amy Tan, and James Frey, and celebrities like Sarah Silverman, Suze Orman, Marlee Matlin, Neil Patrick Harris, Ann Coulter, and Chelsea Handler, (and Robin Slick!) It All Changed in an Instant presents a thousand more glimpses of humanity. . . six words at a time. In the vein of the popular Post Secret books, It All Changed in an Instant, in the words of Vanity Fair, “will thrill minimalists and inspire maximalists."

There. Now go and buy this book. You know you want to.

In Julie Slick world, well, she has a new blog post up with some awesome photos and next week she heads to NAMM out in Anaheim, California as an endorser of GK Amps...I offered to erm, make the sacrifice and go with her but she took a pass. Drat! All of her pals will be out there, though - Tony Levin, Bryan Beller, Marco Minnemann....and I think even Adrian will be there on behalf of Parker Guitars but I'm not sure.

By the way, Julie's interview with No Treble Magazine was voted #1 interview of 2009!.

Okay, I better get out of here before I blab something I'm not supposed to...and there's this book I'm busy writing...so...

Later,
xo

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:19 AM

    Cool story you got here. It would be great to read more concerning this theme. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few photos of any devices.
    Jeff Trider
    Cell phone jammer

    ReplyDelete