Thursday, October 09, 2008

I'm Not Your Friend, Dude

Okay, it's killing me not to go off on a political tirade but there are many others who do it better than I ever could so I won't...though holy freaking cow, why have I not read anything about Senator McShame's overuse...and I mean gross overuse...of the phrase "My friends" during every one of his speeches and especially during both debates.



We're not your friend, dude. And you come off sounding like you're selling ginzu knives on the Atlantic City Boardwalk circa 1960. Or worse, a snake oil salesman.

And let's not even go here. But she can quickly respond to whether she's a hottie, huh.

Guess what, sweetie. You're not. If I were a guy, I'd rather do moldy swiss cheese. And let me immediately issue a disclaimer for using a link to a Fox news article (bleh!) which is of course not favorable to my candidate of choice but it was where I found the quote on the front page of the AOL welcome screen and notice how I'm not using any actual names here as I don't want any of their lunatic supporters finding me via google and leaving their trailer trash comments. Speaking of that, I know this is America and I cherish our (diminishing daily) First Amendment rights, but how can people like this exist and not be arrested for hate crimes?

Okay, enough out of me. I need to calm down. The end is in sight. I have an absentee ballot here to mail on Julie's behalf - Eric already mailed his - and I know for a fact change is coming. So let's talk about things of a more uplifting nature. Like music.



Yep, the dynamic duo flew to Nashville this morning to once again become a a trio. And the reason I gave you that link is not only because I love Ade's take on things, but because of the comment section, where Gary has now officially been annointed "Slick Daddy". I am in love with that and can't believe I didn't come up with it myself.

Speaking of Slick Daddy, he just called me to let me know he has a ticket to the Phillies' play-off game tomorrow. I don't want to jinx things but let's just say that when Slick Daddy attends...wait...I am afraid of the jinx factor after all. Let's discuss this further on Saturday.

So yeah, Julie and Eric, according to my clock, have just landed in Nashville now (9:30 a.m. eastern) and, after 4-5 days of rehearsal and yes, learning brand new material, are about to embark on a month long tour of Europe. Hence the need for absentee ballots.

And how freaking cool is this - there's a commercial running on Lithuanian television for the trio's upcoming show! While it doesn't show Julie and Eric, it still rocks bigtime:



Oh my God, was that great or what? I'm still smiling. So now we not only have Slick Daddy, we have "Adrian Bee-loo". Ah, life is grand.

Beyond that, I don't have much more to say. Of course I'll be blogging daily once the tour starts...right now I'm busy mapping out my strategy for National Novel Writing Month. As my long time readers know, every November I participate in "NANO" and write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. My record so far is 100%. Every novel I've written via NANO since 2003 has been published or will see publication in 2009. Last year I was incredibly bold and posted daily excerpts of raw, unedited work - I managed 2,500 to 3,000 words a day easily. Should I do it again this year? I already have my plot and characters worked out and have a loose outline in my head (to actually start writing now would be cheating but okay, I do have a few false starts and will probably go with at least the format of one of them)...I'm kind of dying to tell you all what it's about but last year a funny thing happened - the book changed as I was writing it and kind of took a life on of its own. So rather than type a synopsis here now and wind up with egg on my face, I think we'll see how it unfolds together. Maybe. I still haven't decided if I should make my daily suffering writing public or not though I think I did have about two readers. Ha.

Finally, let me say Happy Birthday to a true hero - a man who knew how to make a real difference and did.



Peace,
xo

6 comments:

  1. politics is making me want to wear ear muffs, a blindfold and carry a poking stick.

    i'm ready to vote and get this all over with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robin,
    I am so glad you liked the "Slick Daddy " it just seemed so natural !As I wrote on Ade's blog, this officially makes you Slick Mama !
    Anyway, love your blog and your terrific kids !
    Is it me or is John McCain starting to look like the emporer in Star Wars ? He is SO no friend of mine either and I can't even discuss SP, but keep the faith we are almost there. xox Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THE "SLICK DADDY"----
    poppa---or papa slick---reminds
    me of papa chubby---or poppa chubby-who sounds like a physical dilemma----or a "blues singer"---
    and i'm studying lithuanian--to
    interpret the commercial--(not)-
    hopefully one day right here in--
    whatever's left of USA--by the time
    of new president---we see a similar
    adrian belew commercial--(like john-you say i'm a dreamer--and I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE)--so--yes---he was/is one of my heroes---also----
    love gary--peace-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:03 PM

    Could there be any sight more creepy than when John McCain flashes a Thumbs Up sign?

    The only thing more freaky than McCain's disjointed digits are
    his smiling jowls!

    ugh... gag me


    Anyways, great rant, Rob.
    I'm with you on the Nano!

    in spirit ;)

    --D

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one of the two readers last year, I rather enjoyed watching the book move from what was intended to something of its own. Felt like I was watching a kid growing up - you expect them to be one thing and they turn out totally different - watching the transformation is the cool part.

    So... I'm in favor of putting it up so we can follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the other reader! awesome! :)

    Don't think I can do NaNo this year. just too much on the proverbial plate.

    but don't you think I won't be checking in to see how you're doing...

    speaking of which, how ARE you doing?

    xo
    k

    ReplyDelete