Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Oh My!


The Adrian Belew Power Trio with the Acoustic Planet Tour in Atlanta

There's an amazing review of the Adrian Belew Power Trio today at Jam Base!

But err...you know me, here it is, cut and pasted:

" The only thing stranger than seeing Adrian Belew in person after years of organs turning to liquid while listening to his guitar lunacy was seeing a 20-year-old drummer and 19-year-old bassist with him. Eric and Julie Slick are in the right place alongside him. The sound firing from the stage at the start of their set was a machine gun strum exercise called "Writing on the Wall." Many of the songs in the set are from Belew's solo album Side One, which featured Danny Carey from Tool on drums and Les Claypool. The Slick siblings effortlessly played those parts and even added their own touches. Belew's work straddles pop tenderness with savage dexterity, as if the Beatles really learned to play their instruments and found odd meters. During the King Crimson tune "Dinosaur," Belew bent the hell out of his custom guitar by pulling on a protruding edge of the body for a low moan sound beyond a simple tremolo warble. The Slicks filled out the Crimson thickly for two people covering a very dense composition. "Ampersand" off of Side One was a vicious battery of rhythm built with bass, drums, and guitar holding up an even part of the wall and dancing around odd-metered fills. For the tweek funk of "Beat Box Guitar," Bela Fleck came out to add some rich banjo licks to the weird tune. Belew frequently puts solos played in reverse on his albums, and yet is able to play them note-for-note live. Such a feat was especially clear during the ambient dream feel of "Matchless Man." To finish out the set, the trio played epic renditions of Crimson's "Three of a Perfect Pair" and "Elephant Talk." The task of filling a sound created by Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, and Bill Bruford seemed effortless for the Slicks. During the end of "Elephant Talk," members of Umphrey's McGee came out one-by-one to join in the tense cacophony to close out the set. From the gleeful looks on Jake Cinninger, Brendan Bayliss, and Kris Myers' faces, it seemed I wasn't the only awestruck person at the show."

How freaking cool is that?

And um, my own personal bit of excitement:

I'm not sure how long it will last but my Publishers Marketplace page is in the top ten most visited this week;

Another Bite of the Apple and Buenos Noches, Justine are the number one and number two highest rated in erotica over at Fictionwise. Yeah, yeah, I rule. I'm busy picking out my cottage in the UK right now...

Later,
xo

1 comment:

  1. You know, when I visited the Emirates, one of my neighbors in the Dubai hotel I stayed in was crazy about this group! And I had to like their music too, because it was tooooo loud! Nobody asked if I wanted or not, I had to listen to it!!! :) It's nice, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete