Sunday, March 05, 2006

So my daughter just casually said to me Did you know your son is playing in New York with Adrian Belew tonight? And I was asked to play, too?


Julie Ranier at the mic, left to right: Teddi Tarnoff, Eric Slick, Julie Slick

Yeah, so tell me my life isn't strange. My daughter is getting ready to work the brunch shift at Rembrandts and casually says "Oh man...it's just too bad."

Knowing my daughter the way I do and the tone of her voice, I go on full paranoid mother alert.

"What? What's too bad?"

"Paul (uberlord of Rock School) called late last night and asked me if I was coming to the Adrian Belew show tonight in New York because he wanted me to sit in on bass on City of Tiny Lights".

"You're kidding me! And...you're not going to do it?"

"Mom, I can't. I have work. If I would have had more notice, I would have been able to find someone to cover my shift."

(Meanwhile, I'm so proud of her but is she really mine? She has such morals and ethics....I would have called in to work "sick" so fast my hand would have been on the phone two seconds after Paul called me)

And then she adds:

"Yeah, Eric is with Paul and Adrian right now. Eric doesn't know it yet, it's a surprise, but he's going to sit in on drums on City of Tiny Lights."

Arghhhh.......

Could someone please have told me about this, like, yesterday so I could have lined up a ride with Gary or bought train tickets and made plans to go to New York? So this is a "surprise" I'm not in on? I'm gonna cry. Because I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time and expense of a trip to New York to see Eric play just one song. Now if Julie were playing as well, then it would be a no-brainer. So right now I'm waiting for the phone to ring...hopefully. She did go to work, and she's going to see if she can find someone to cover for her because it's a 6:00 p.m. show in NY which means we'd have to leave here by 3:00 p.m. at the latest. And her shift doesn't end until 7:00 p.m.

So I'm crazed right now, wondering if I should be getting ready to go to New York or not.

Meanwhile, in case you missed my above comment, right now my lucky son is in a "car" with Paul and Adrian Belew, just hanging out, driving from Philly to New York. And Eric is totally unaware that he's playing tonight. Damn it! I'm using this journal to think out loud. How can I miss this?

Sigh...I can't.

Oh, in the event you are too lazy to click on the link and don't know who Belew is, he's an amazing guitarist who's only toured/recorded with Frank Zappa, David Bowie, King Crimson, Talking Heads, Crash Test Dummies, etc., etc.

By the way, speaking of music, one of my pals accused me of being a dinosaur. Au contraire. While I admit I did spend this morning listening to one of the undiscovered by today's youth classics of the late sixties, Fat Mattress, (featuring musicians who played with Hendrix - Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Chris Wood of Traffic) I've been listening to a lot of new stuff...particularly the Flaming Lips. Eric and their drummer have actually emailed back and forth about a few things which is way cool. Anyway, Eric turned me on to Arctic Fire and Man Man and I'm totally into them -- finally, great song writing, great musicianship...I don't ask for much, just move my soul, damn it.

Okay, I should probably go wash my hair or something in case I have to fly out the door to New York sooner rather than later.

I leave you with a cool Neil Gaiman interview.

Cheers,
(Oh god, don't you just loathe when Americans say that? Ha! And I though ciao was bad!)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment