Monday, February 27, 2006

What day is it...



This is a painting by Alonso Cano and it's called "Descent into Limbo" which is exactly how I feel right now.

Quick art history lesson: Cano was a Spanish sculptor, painter, architect, and draughtsman, sometimes called "the Spanish Michelangelo" because of the diversity of his talents.

He was born and died in Granada, and worked there and in Seville and Madrid. His movements were partly dictated by his tempestuous character -- he either fled or was expelled from the city he was working in (once for the suspected murder of his wife). In spite of his violent temperament, his work tends to be serene and often sweet.

Interesting, huh.

Yeah, so anyway, I'm in limbo and I hate it. I have stories, essays, and a novel out there in waiting to be published land and I know the only way to get over the agony of waiting is to keep writing and finish my new book.

So that's what I'm doing.

I'm on temporary hiatus from everything.

To be honest, I'm even thinking of putting this blog on hiatus permanently. When I first started it in 2004, it was used as a vehicle for National Novel Writing Month - I wrote a 50,000 word novel in thirty days (since deleted; don't bother looking for it). Then I realized it was a great way to promote my writing, and my friends' writing, and especially my kids and their music. And then, interestingly enough, because I am such a private (and happily reclusive) person in the real world, it morphed into a personal diary of sorts which was really a great outlet for me.

Only one problem. I underestimated the power of Google.

Ha - but I know me -- all I have to do is get one acceptance letter today or get any good news at all and I'll be back with a much more animated post. Actually, I might be back this afternoon when I talk to Eric because he's in heavy rehearsal mode now for his tour with Project Object - he didn't get in until well after midnight last night and I know he's got another lengthy rehearsal tonight so I'll probably report on that when I finally get a chance to sit down and talk with him.

So I'm obviously very conflicted about this blog thing. Another option would be to delete this one and start another which is not published...meaning, Google won't pick it up...and I'll only furnish the address to a chosen few. And then maybe start a new, published blog which just concentrates on my writing and gives out no personal information at all.

I dunno. Like I said, I'm feeling extremely frustrated at the moment.

So right now I'm just going to concentrate on my finishing my novel.

Later,
xo

5 comments:

  1. It's that obvious, huh.

    I know. Go eat a handful of some soy something, Rob. Or drink what Louis Black scornfully calls "Soy Juice"...that skit he does where he makes fun of yuppies and their food habits cracks me the hell up.

    It's all bogus, anyway. Nothing helps so from here on in, I will embrace my PMS! Now. Why doesn't my son wake up so I can holler at him for something! Oh wait, Julie just headed out the door for class and left me more dirty tupperware in the sink.

    Heh. Time to leave a deranged message on her cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Nice painting. I hope you reconsider about this page. It's nice to know what my sister and her family are up to, and I'd hate to lose that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:58 AM

    I recently started a friends-only Live Journal page where I could babble about my writing & it also means I babble about life issues, too, in terms of it impacting my writing.

    And I have the 'public' page that anyone can see, with a more 'professional' (HA!) face, narrower focus.

    Maybe you could try the same model? It will probably leave you feeling less vulnerable, but give you the same outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would miss this blog, but I understand the desire for privacy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kat and Caryn.

    Well, as you can see by today's post, the blog stays for now but I am going to look into getting a private, friends only personal journal, too. In fact, it's pretty much a given. The idea really appeals to me and I would have done that to begin with had I realized this blog was going to turn into a diary. It honestly was started just to blog my NaNo novel...and I really am so private in the real world; I'm kind of stunned I share so much here. Ha. Free therapy, I guess.

    ReplyDelete