Friday, February 17, 2006

Odds and Sods for Friday, February 17


Yeah! Ellen Meister got her ARCS (advance review copies) of her book yesterday! Aren't they gorgeous?

So also yesterday I got an e-mail from my agent, Britta Steiner Alexander, who has "decided to leave the agenting business". She wrote me a dear and generous note which made me feel really great about my writing and well, myself in general. So I'm considering other agents at the moment and wish Britta the best in her new endeavors.

Then I got the exciting news that Ellen has received her ARCS...and I'm so thrilled for her, it's almost like I wrote the book. Ha! I wish! It's an amazing novel, and though I did get a chance to read the original manuscript, it was so incredible I opted not to finish it and instead wait for the HARDCOVER -- yep, hardcover, version to come out this August. It almost killed me, it was impossible to put down, and then it got even more difficult when Ellen read a chapter I hadn't read yet at a party last June thrown in her honor by her fabulous husband Mike. I was dying to find out what happened next, but there's something about getting a brand new book...and the fact that it's written by one of my closest writer pals...well, I had to exercise uncharacteristic restraint but I managed. At least I have so far...

Well, anyway, that's all for now. I'm determined to have a productive day writing, and I'm starting out by listening to some Patti Smith on my iPod.

But I'm thinking I could also use something really pretty to look at right now, too, so I give up, I admit it, here it is -- my daily twisted tribute to Neil Gaiman:


Ah, all better now.

Just kidding. But hey, he posts these photos on his blog, nine million people read it per day, so I'm guessing he won't mind if I steal them. Tsk tsk...he's trying to kill all of us poor women, isn't he?

Later,
xo

9 comments:

  1. Actually, Neil looks like he could use some sleelp (lol). ARCs are fun. I just got the arcs to "The Mote In Andrea's Eye," my book out in June, and they sent me a TON of them, so -- considering that the publisher is already flooding major review lists with them, I'm looking for some creative ways to use these to broaden my influence on the world...like reviews in some places that might not have ever heard of me....I'm ALWAYS open to suggestions.

    And I bet an agent snaps you up pretty quickly...

    Hmmm...following yesterdays thread of word verification "signs," what does fqxpgbki bring to mind (sigh)


    DNW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen's book looks fabulous! Can't wait to hold a copy in my hand come August.

    So sorry for Eric and his friend. Hard, hard news.

    And sorry that your agent is leaving the biz. I think whatever agents gets you next is very lucky, indeed.

    Have a great day writing, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, thanks, David...and please don't mention Neil and bed...I mean sleep...in the same sentence. I'm very, um, emotional this morning. Ha.

    Regarding review sources, let me think on that. Now if you wrote erotica...

    I actually do have some ideas and will e-mail you later.

    And by the way, your word verification immediately made me think "fucking a pig out back". Which says more about me than you probably want to know, huh.

    Myf, as always, thank you for your gracious comments. Yeah, normally my agent's email would have sent me into a total emotional tailspin but when I think of Eric's friend, it becomes a very minor blip in the grand scheme of things.

    Okay, upstairs to write I go.

    And in case anyone is interested, my word verification....which I absolutely cannot believe...is asknnot.

    Damn it -- I just tried to copy it so I could prove it but it wouldn't work so you'll just have to take my word for it. Freaky, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:21 AM

    My word verification is LCCYJZHG. Who dreams these up?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now what's wrong with "lick your jazz hag"?

    At least you're not fucking a pig out back.

    Ask nnot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:38 AM

    True enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Somehow I never saw the comment link before. HI ROBIN! I got your blog link from our mutual friend in MLPS.

    Drop me a line - clr at jukeboxgraduate dot com - I have some other agent ideas for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, as I told you by return e-mail, I already had the "glasses" picture but now I can also look at it via AOL mail. So thank you. Ha!

    And Caryn - I just sent you a rambling email as well. Way cool hearing from you...and I'm dying to send you that Eddie Vedder clip where he sings The Who's A Quick One While He's Away with my son for twenty minutes backstage. All I have to do is figure out how the hell to send it. If I can work out how to upload it somewhere, we can do it that way. Alas I have a website which I am totally unable to update alone. My son is my webmaster, and he's never home. That's why I dig the blog format and have sort of abandoned the website, which is probably a very poor idea.

    I should go take a techie class somewhere, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin!!!!!!! Thank you for this, my beautiful friend. You made me CRY!

    As far as the agent thing, I have a very fatalistic attitude and believe in my heart that it's all going to work out for the best for you. You're going to find a kickass agent who falls head over heels in love with that inimitable Robin Slick style. And you'll wind up with the deal of your dreams.

    And natch ... Eric's young friend is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete